FORT MYERS, Fla. — Amid a rise in rental scams impacting both renters and property owners in Southwest Florida, Kevin L. Kellogg, an award-winning expert from Logical Choice Realty Group, steps forward to offer essential advice. The initiative comes in response to recent fraudulent rental activities, including a notable case where an individual was duped into renting an apartment that was not legally available for rent.
Kevin L. Kellogg, renowned for his expertise in property management, emphasizes the need for heightened awareness and caution. “The real estate market, particularly rentals, can be a minefield of scams, affecting both unsuspecting renters and property owners. It’s crucial to recognize the red flags and take proactive steps to protect oneself,” states Kellogg.
Kellogg outlines several key strategies to help both renters and property owners avoid falling prey to fraudulent schemes:
- Conduct Thorough Verification: Ensure that the person listing the property is indeed the owner or a duly authorized representative. This can involve checking property records or seeking confirmation from reputable real estate agencies.
- Personal Property Inspection: It’s advisable for renters to physically inspect the property. This not only confirms its existence but also its condition and true ownership.
- Awareness of Market Rates: Understanding the typical rental prices in the area can help identify listings that are suspiciously underpriced, which often signals a scam.
- Secure Payment Methods: Renters should avoid cash payments for deposits or rents. Using traceable payment methods like bank transfers or checks provides a record of the transaction.
- Professional Assistance: For both renters and property owners, seeking guidance from established property management companies can be invaluable. These entities have the expertise to navigate the complexities of rental agreements and can spot potential scams more easily.
Kellogg’s initiative underscores the importance of education and awareness in the real estate market, particularly in rentals. By following these guidelines, both renters and property owners can safeguard themselves against fraudulent activities.
For further information, advice, or assistance in rental property management, Kevin L. Kellogg and the team at Logical Choice Realty Group are available for a free consultation.